SURVIVAL GUIDE: WEEK 2
Day One: God Saves You & Provides A Living Hope
1 Peter 1:3 "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,"
Additional Readings: 2 Corinthians 1:3; Romans 15:6; Titus 3:5
- As a believer who has been “born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” your identity is found in your relationship with Jesus, not in other things. What lies are you prone to believe about your identity? What truths from Scripture combat those lies?
- Realizing that God has provided eternal salvation to believers in Jesus Christ, write a prayer of praise to God for saving you.
Day Two: God is Your Father
Matthew 6:25-34 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."
Additional Readings: Psalm 68:5; Isaiah 64:8; Psalm 103:13
- What role does God the Father have in these verses?
- How does God as our heavenly Father speak into personal wounds from our earthly father?
Day Three: God Calls You To Develop A God-Centered Life
Colossians 3:1-2 "Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things."
Additional Readings: Matthew 16:23; Romans 8:5-6; Philippians 3:14
- This verse describes setting your mind on Christ, not earthly things. What do you normally set you mind on other than Jesus? How is dwelling on those things affecting your relationship with Jesus?
- When Paul wrote these verses, he was in prison. If he could focus on striving to accomplish God’s will—even while in prison—we certainly can do the same. Write out a prayer committing yourself to pursuing a God-centered life.
Day Four: God Chose You For His Purpose
2 Timothy 1: 9 "He has saved us and called us to a holy life—not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time,"
Additional Readings: Titus 3:5; Hebrews 3:1; Romans 3:27-28
- Realizing that God has saved us to pursue a holy calling “before the ages began,” we should have boldness to follow God and accomplish His will. In what ways are you being bold in your daily walk with the Lord?
- How does knowing that God chose you not because of your works but because of His “own purpose and grace” affect your walk with the Lord?
Day Five: God Chose You To Be A Royal Priesthood
1 Peter 2:9 "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."
Additional Readings: Exodus 19:5; Acts 26:18; Revelation 1:6
- How does knowing you’re a “royal priest” impact your understanding of your identity?
- Write a prayer of praise for this new identity found in Jesus alone.
Day Six: God Shapes You Into the Image of Jesus Christ
Romans 8:29 "For those God foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brothers and sisters."
Additional Readings: Galatians 1:15; 1 Corinthians 7:17; Ephesians 4:1
- As a believer, God is continually shaping you to be more like Jesus Christ. In what ways have you seen this occur in your life?
- Write a prayer of thanksgiving for how God is working your life.
Day Seven: God Delivered You To His Kingdom
Colossians 1:13 "For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves,"
Additional Readings: Ephesians 1:6; 1 Thessalonians 1:10; 2 Peter 1:11
- As a believer, God has delivered you to His kingdom to have eternal life with Him. Knowing this, how are you encouraged to follow Jesus and do His will?
- Write a prayer of commitment to God today.